Friday, December 2, 2011

Starting an EXERCISE program

Whether you enjoy it or not, EXERCISE is vital for your health and well-being! It strengthens your heart and lungs, increases circulation, boosts your metabolism, strengthens muscles and improves your endurance, among many other benefits. So there is no question that you should exercise... But do you?

There are two ways to look at exercise-related pain. One is the health problems you will encounter if you do not exercise, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, heart disease, etc. Exercise can be as easy as walking your dog or using a treadmill. Find an exercise that is convenient and enjoyable for you; otherwise you will probably not stick with it. If finances are the constraint, just start a walking program.

The other form of exercise-related pain is injury during/after the workout. If you are going to start a new form of exercise, prepare yourself with proper footwear. Then start with a little at a time. Do not jump to running 5 miles (or even 2 miles) the first day. Be sure to warm up for 5 minutes by walking or doing some light cardio exercise. If you need to stretch before your main  exercise, do so after your warmup. Stretching after your workout can be very helpful, even if you do so for 3-5 minutes. If you only have time to exercise for 30 minutes, your first few minutes and last few minutes should be done a little slower than the bulk of your routine.

When was the last time you exercised???  I will mail a FREE PRIZE for the best and worst responses (within the USA)! Reply in comments section below! This contest lasts for 24 hours!

6 comments:

  1. I just got up from the computer and picked up my daughter, Shilah, and carried her to the changing table. I do this often and that is my exercise :) - Holly B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a few pushups yesterday evening, does that count? I haven't done cardio in a while as I am recovering from a sinus infection.

    Work is the reason I don't exercise as much as I should (finding time) and the reason that I try to get to the gym as often as I can (stress relief!)

    I may not yet think like a PT (Physical Therapist), but I find myself thinking a lot about PT (Physical Training)! If I miss a scheduled day at the gym, I find myself obsessing about getting there asap. I guess I have found something I enjoy.

    Paul A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, feel free to keep your responses anonymous if you prefer.

    Yes, push-ups count!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whales swim all day and eat nothing but fish, and still they are fat and ugly. So for me it is cheeseburgers and the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prizes go out this week! And the winners are:

    Best response is Comment #2!!!
    Worst response is Comment #5!!!

    Thanks for participating! I enjoyed your answers :) To author of Comment #5--please email me your address (I think I have it but want to be sure)

    ReplyDelete