Saturday, December 31, 2011

The common sense DIET

1. Eat smaller portions. You may be surprised at how little food can fill you up and hold you over until the next meal. Learn to listen to your body to tell you when to eat and when to stop eating.
2. Keep yourself busy. That gives you less time to sit down and munch on junk food. Fill your free time with productive tasks, activities and hobbies. I know that if I am alone for very long and turn on the TV, I then start and continue munching indefinitely.
3. Eat slowly. My husband is naturally good and this, and he usually ends up eating much less volume than the rest of us who eat fast.
4. Replace juice with fresh fruit. 100% juice is ok, but the best choice is the fruit itself. It is packed full of nutrition and fiber!
5. To eat your 5 servings of fruits/vegetables each day, plan them into your meals/snacks. For example, have 1 serving with breakfast, 1 for a morning snack, 2 servings with lunch, 1 with supper and 1 for an evening snack.
6. Cut out soda (even diet soda). Replace it with water!!!

SAMPLE MENU
Breakfast: cereal, skim milk, 1 large banana (counts as 2 fruit servings)
Snack: yogurt
Lunch: Turkey on whole wheat with tomato/lettuce/cucumber
Snack: apple
Supper: grilled chicken, whole wheat pasta with sauteed vegetables and marinara sauce
Snack: almonds

3 comments:

  1. I always eat less if I keep busy. That is a good tip. Replacing soda with water makes sense too! I have added more fruit and now am getting 4-5 servings a day but the only vegetables I get is some for supper when I have a small salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! My family does not like cooked vegetables that much, so we usually do salads also. If I don't have time to fix a salad or cook some veggies, I just cut up fresh fruit toward the end of the meal. It sounds like you have some healthy habits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruits & veggies don't supply the same nutrients as they used to do. So you need to take 100% natural vitamins & minerals as well.

    ReplyDelete