Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Making Weight Loss A Priority

What are the priorities in your life? If you want to seriously lose weight, it will not happen unless it becomes one of your top priorities every single day. Look at those who are very successful in a sport, hobby or activity. They have prioritized practicing and training in that area in order to reap the benefits. Michael Jordan did not become great by practicing 30 minutes per day. 

Prioritizing weight loss means sacrificing other things. Consider how you use your time outside of work. Write it down! How much time do you actually sit on the couch every night? As much as you like your favorite TV shows, they do not care about you or your health. You also must sacrifice some or all of your favorite foods. Every time you choose the better food alternative, you are saving calories! And every time you choose exercise or activity, you are burning more calories.

Do you know anyone who is obsessed with exercise? They may be extreme, but at least they understand the endless benefits of fitness. It is not hard to become an exercise addict; it just takes consistency for several weeks. Once you go to the gym every weekday for 4 weeks, it becomes a habit. One of the greatest benefits of exercise is that it motivates you to eat better. Why work out so hard if you are going to eat McDonald's for supper and negate all the exercise you just did?

There is a breaking point that must be reached in your weight battle: you finally take responsibility for your weight and choose to do whatever it takes to win. When people ask me about weight loss, I can immediately tell how serious they are by their response to this question. "What are you doing to lose weight?"

Response 1: "Well... I am trying to eat better." (I guarantee you are not that serious)
Response 2: "I joined the gym, so I go when I can." (not serious)
Response 3: "Weight loss pills." (not serious--sorry)
Response 4: "I am trying Atkins this time around." (somewhat serious but likely yo-yo dieting)
Response 5: "I am doing Weight Watchers and I go to the gym 6x/week for 1 hour." (very serious)
Response 6: "I do cardio every day for 45-60 minutes, I do strength training 5x/week, I work with a personal trainer and I am on a 2000 calorie/day diet for the next 3 months." (best answer)

What things are keeping you from achieving your weight loss goals? How can you overcome them?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment